This is a great twist on chili…hearty but not heavy in the least! You feel good after eating it!
The original recipe came from Women’s World magazine last year…a friend of mine shared it with me and I loved that it claimed DETOX in the name!
Here is a pic of the original recipe and you can see I did make certain adjustments, but stuck to the key ingredients, including using ORGANIC to really claim the DETOX benefits!
The first thing I noticed is it called for 96 oz of bone broth which would have yielded a VERY watered down version of the picture posted in the recipe so I believe it was a misprint.
You might play with the spice amounts I have used, start with half the amount, taste, add more as needed to suite your buds. Have fun making this one!
Beef 'N Vegetable Detox Chili
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 medium zucchini diced
- 3 medium daikon radishes (about the same size as the zucchini) diced
- 2 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 15 oz can dark red kidney beans rinsed
- 1 quart bone broth, beef or chicken I used chicken
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 6 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 large parsley bunch chopped fine
- 1 large cilantro bunch chopped fine
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, brown the beef. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, radish and zucchini to the fat and liquid left from the beef.
- Saute, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef into the pot, along with the remaining ingredients, except the parsley and cilantro.
- Bring to a low boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes or so stirring occasionaly.
- Add parsley and cilantro and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve or cool and package for the fridge or freezer.