I love meatloaf…I really do.
This recipe is a great twist on a traditional favorite and if you like extra kick, add the optional red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper!
I usually bake in large individual silicone muffin cups for easy portioning and presentation for my personal chef clients, but a traditional single loaf works too!
A little seasoning taste tip I do…before portioning to bake, take about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and form into a small patty and place in a small glass dish and microwave or cook in a small pan on the stove top. You will know if it needs more seasoning BEFORE it heads into the oven!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or chuck
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 12 oz bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained really well I squeeze dry in a linen towel...works great!
- 3 tbsp Italian seasoning blend or combine basil, oregano, thyme to your liking
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese or 1/2 cup each of Parmesan and Mozzerella
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Optional red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Drain tomatoes, thaw and squeeze dry the spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients really well...clean hands work the best!
- Portion into 6 large muffin cups, 2 small loaves or 1 large loaf
- For loaves, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. For muffins, place on a baking rack on top the the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes for muffins and smaller loaves, 1 hour and 15 min for 1 large loaf.