I love it when a few, easy to grab ingredients becomes a swoon worthy meal!
I made this after running to the store for…wine…and found myself grabbing some chicken thighs, cannellini beans, green chilies and green enchilada sauce because I was craving Mexican and knew a soup would be easy and would make enough to freeze for another round.
The pressure cooker method for poaching the chicken made the most moist and tender chicken EVER and I highly recommend it if you have a PC.
Chicken, White Bean and Green Chili Soup
- 2 lbs cooked chicken thighs or breasts, shredded Pressure cooker method I use is in the notes.
- 6 cups chicken broth Or use the cooking water from cooking the chicken in the pressure cooker.
- 4 15 oz cans cannellini or Great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 2 7 oz cans diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup diced onion I used the Kroger brand frozen chopped
- 2 tbs dried cilantro absolutely can use fresh and as much as you like!
- 1 tbs cumin or to taste
- green onions and lime optional for garnish
- Poach chicken and shred, pressure cooker technique in the notes below.
- Strain poaching liquid thru a linen towel and pour into a stock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, test for seasonings.
- Serve with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream.