You know how you remember certain things that people say? Especially children?
Our granddaughter, Hannah, was born a ray of pure sunshine…always happy! And from the time she was a toddler, she LOVED pasta!
At a family gathering when she was about four, she overheard me talking about what we were going to have for dinner…which included pasta.
She spun around on the bar stool she was sitting on and very matter of factually said “PASTA? Did somebody say PASTA?
I couldn’t resist turning it into a blog post title! Be sure to read the notes at the end of the recipe on how to make this lasagna GLUTEN FREE!
In the video above, I show how I portion the lasagna into perfect portions to serve right away or to freeze for another meal…enjoy!
- 16 oz cottage cheese, lowfat
- 4 oz cream cheese, 1/3 less fat
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning any combo of basil, oregano, thyme, etc.
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper more if you like extra heat!
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, part skim, shredded **you will need an additonal cup of this cheese for the top after assembling.**
- blender or immersion blender
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1/3 cup dried onion flakes
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tbs Italian seasoning
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 8 sheets Barilla No Boil Lasagna "Noodles"
- 1 26 oz Barilla Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce you can make your own pasta sauce, or use another brand you prefer. I have used this brand for years and love it.
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, part skim, shredded for top layer
- square deep dish foil baking pan 10" x 10" x 2.5" poultry pan at Kroger
- regular and non stick foil
- Combine all of the cheese mixture ingredients EXCEPT the Mozzarella cheese into a blender or 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup if using an immersion blender.
- Blend until smooth, then stir in the shredded Mozzarella cheese and set aside
- Place a large non stick skillet over medium heat and add the turkey.
- Add the dried onions and cook the turkey until browned and cooked through.
- Add the seasonings and tomato sauce and simmer over low heat until sauce has thickened and has reduced in moisture, about 20 minutes
- Taste for seasonings and salt.
Putting It Together
- Line the foil pan one way first with regular foil, then across the other direction with the non stick foil.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Add two pasta sheets, spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the top, going to the edges of the pan.
- Add 1/3 of the meat mixture and spread over the top of the cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and spread over the top of the meat.
- Repeat the layers twice, alternating the direction of the noodles and ending with a noodle layer on top.
- Spread the remaining pasta sauce over the top and cover the top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover with NON stick foil.
- Bake at 375 for 1 hour, remove the foil and bake for an additonal 15 minutes or until top is nice and lightly browned.