I love having friends and family for dinner, but don’t like spending “social time” working in the kitchen! When I can have things prepped ahead and the final cooking takes just minutes, that’s my kind of entertaining!
This is such an impressive dish to make for a party of six. The vegetables listed are the ones we enjoy, but can be modified according to everyone’s taste buds. Let your imagination be your guide.
I usually serve this over long grain brown rice, but it’s delicious over udon noodles or angel hair pasta. A final sprinkle of black sesame seeds always looks great for presentation!
Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry
- peanut or coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 3 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers sliced into strips
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, snow peas or asparagus
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp cooked or raw
Stir Fry Sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp dry sherry NOT cooking wine!
- 6 tbsp chicken broth
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Prepare all of the vegetables and combine peppers, celery and carrots together in one bowl, green onions and peas or asparagus in another.
- If using pre cooked frozen shrimp, thaw and set aside in a bowl, toss with a little soy sauce.
- If using raw shrimp, thaw, peel and set aside in a bowl, toss with a little soy sauce.
- Prepare stir fry sauce, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the oil of your choice and heat to a shimmer.
- If using the raw shrimp, add to the skillet and cook just until pink, remove and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed and add peppers, celery and carrots and cook just until crisp tender.
- Add the peas or asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stir fry sauce, stirring and cooking until thickened then add the shrimp and heat through.