I love having friends and family for dinner, but don’t like spending “social time” working in the kitchen! When I can have things prepped ahead and the final cooking takes just minutes, that’s my kind of entertaining!
This is such an impressive dish to make for a party of six. The vegetables listed are the ones we enjoy, but can be modified according to everyone’s taste buds. Let your imagination be your guide.
I usually serve this over long grain brown rice, but it’s delicious over udon noodles or angel hair pasta. A final sprinkle of black sesame seeds always looks great for presentation!
If you want to see the video about this recipe, you can see it here!
Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry
- peanut or coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 3 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers sliced into strips
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, snow peas or asparagus
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp cooked or raw
Stir Fry Sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp dry sherry NOT cooking wine!
- 6 tbsp chicken broth
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- Prepare all of the vegetables and combine peppers, celery and carrots together in one bowl, green onions and peas or asparagus in another.
- If using pre cooked frozen shrimp, thaw and set aside in a bowl, toss with a little soy sauce.
- If using raw shrimp, thaw, peel and set aside in a bowl, toss with a little soy sauce.
- Prepare stir fry sauce, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the oil of your choice and heat to a shimmer.
- If using the raw shrimp, add to the skillet and cook just until pink, remove and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed and add peppers, celery and carrots and cook just until crisp tender.
- Add the peas or asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stir fry sauce, stirring and cooking until thickened then add the shrimp and heat through.