I am apologizing right off the bat to those of you that like EXACT measurements of ingredients…I am a “by gosh or by golly” gal and those of you that have read any of my previous recipes know I preach to be adventurous and experiment and to use the recipe as a GUIDE and a source for your own inspiration!
This is NOT a good technique in baking! Baking is like chemistry…it’s science and every ingredient in the recipe is usually required in the specific amount in order to have the final product turn out.
So now let’s talk about this “schtoup”. I can’t remember what cooking show host called a thick, stew like soup a “schtoup”, but I like that word so we are going with it…
First, you will see in the instructions that instead of the chopped onions, celery and green pepper, you could substitute 2 – 12 oz bags of the Kroger Cajun Mirepoix blend frozen vegetables. These are big time savers and if your grocery store has a similar product, use it….save yourself a step!
Next, pick out the lineup of vegetables that YOU LIKE! Sometimes when I make a soup like this (mind you, it changes ALL THE TIME) I might use corn, cauliflower and broccoli…or peas…or lima beans…I hope you see where I’m going with this…
But I do always use diced tomatoes…because I really like them and I think they add a lot of flavor and color.
And the beans….prefer dark red kidney beans? GO! Garbanzos? YES! Want 4 cans instead of 3? DO IT!
And now the seasonings…I use a lot of the blends from Penzeys…Northwoods, Cajun, Turkish…along with cumin, sweet curry, oregano…the list goes on. I really just wing this part and let my taste buds be my guide.
Be as adventurous or conservative as you feel…after all, it’s your “schtoup”!
Hearty Vegetable White Bean "Schtoup"
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced green pepper
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 12 oz bag frozen crinkle cut carrots
- 1 12 oz bag frozen green beans
- 1 12 oz bag frozen chopped spinach
- 1 28 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes I used Muir Glen
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano I used Red Gold
- 3 15 oz cans Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- seasonings of your choice!
- Prepare the diced vegetables or use 2 - 12 oz bags of Kroger Mirepoix / Cajun Blend frozen vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat and add the diced vegetables.
- Saute vegetables for 5 minutes or so, then add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the frozen vegetables, tomatoes and seasonings of your choice.
- Cover and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat, uncover and taste for seasonings, adjust if necessary.
- Add the drained beans.
- Simmer over low heat until the vegtables are tender, about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread!