I don’t remember how I came across this website, The Family Freezer, to discover a bounty of recipes for meals to prepare for the freezer to cook later in a crockpot or pressure cooker.
Grateful isn’t a big enough word here!
I promise you, if you are looking for some inspiration to get organized with having some ready to go meals that serve 6-8 on hand for those super busy times, beware, you can go down a deep rabbit hole there exploring, and licking your chops while doing so!
This recipe is one of them, with a few modifications from the original, but minor ones.
It was called Korean BBQ Chicken which threw me a bit and decided after making it, and LOVING it for dinner last night, that it was post worthy but needed a new name…
So Korean Pulled Ginger Chicken it is.
The finished dish shredded in the crockpot, before any of my suggested add ins, is quite “blah” looking…beige really. BUT, the flavor was sublime! I was surprised just how much ginger flavor came through and decided it should be included in the name…I did use a bit more than the 1 tablespoon in the original recipe and will continue to in the future.
Oh YES, I will be making this again. I added chopped cilantro in right before serving and garnished with some black sesame seeds and sriracha. The green peas would be a great addition also…either way, my family voted it needed some “green” for eye appeal.
I served it over jasmine rice and when dinner was finished, I combined the leftover chicken with some of the leftover rice and will make some wraps with my favorite gluten free wraps to freeze and have on hand for lunch!
Nothing better than having healthy, delicious meals on hand…either ready to cook from the freezer or ready to heat and eat!
Korean Pulled Ginger Chicken
- Crockpot or pressure cooker
- 1 gallon sized freezer bag
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped, about 1 cup
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or more if you like more heat
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and grated I used about 2 tbsp
- 16 oz fresh coleslaw mix (grated carrots and cabbage)
- Jasmine, basmati or brown rice for serving
Optional Add Ins:
- chopped cilantro
- green peas
- sriracha or soy sauce to taste
- toasted or black sesame seeds
To Freeze and Cook Later:
- Label the freezer bag and add all the ingredients into it. Remove as much air as possible, seal and freeze.
To Cook in the Crockpot or Pressure Cooker
- Thaw the frozen meal a day or two before in the fridge.
- Add the contents to the crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or in the pressure cooker for 25 minutes.
- Shred chicken and combine well.
- Add optional add ins if desired and serve over rice!