I LOVE Mexican food and rice and beans are a real favorite. This recipe make A LOT, but I like to cook once and have options with the leftovers!
I served this with fish taco filling as a “build your own burrito/taco” bar and it worked perfect. I have about 2/3 of it left which I will take a portion and add in some diced cooked chicken and serve over lettuce or wrap in my favorite tortillas as an easy, ready to go lunch.
Make this your OWN! I have added some suggestions in the NOTES section of the recipe…and I would LOVE to hear from you if you give this a try and if you made any changes you want to share!
Instant Pot Mexican Brown Rice and Beans
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 1 T olive oil or your oil of preference.
- 3/4 cup chopped onions I used pre chopped frozen.
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper I used pre chopped frozen.
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies Rotel or store brand equivilant.
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- spices of your choice I used cumin and Penzey's Fajita seasoning.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker on the saute setting.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until starting to soften.
- Add the rice, undrained tomatoes and 2 cups of water.
- Set the PC to pressure cook and set time for 22 minutes.
- When PC has finished, allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure, remove lid and add the beans, cilantro and seasonings.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.