This was really fun to do. A dear friend of mine has “camp” at her house for a week during the summer with her four grandchildren. They do enjoy cooking and she asked me if I could do a cooking class for them. We were having a hard time getting our times to mesh, so we decided on a video class with me visually taking them through the recipe I sent to them that they were going to prepare. Here I am, cell phone in hand, walking, talking and stirring through Modern Mac N Cheese!
Modern Mac N Cheese
- 2 cups rotini pasta Barilla Plus is my favorite
- 1/2 cup carrot diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese grated
- Prepare all the ingredients: Dice the vegetables, measure out the pasta and cheeses.
- Cook pasta in large saucepan of boiling salted water for 4 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Drain pasta and vegetables, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return pasta and vegetables to saucepan. Add zucchini and peas.
- Blend the cottage cheese with an immersion blender or small food processor, just until smooth.
- Then add the reserved pasta cooking water, mustard, hot pepper sauce and blend briefly.
- Stir into the pasta and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses, stirring to combine.
- If eating immediately, warm gently on the stove top or can be eaten room temperature, even cold!
- If freezing, cool and package for the freezer.