This dish is so simple and satisfying, yet impressive enough to be called “company worthy”.
I enjoy my time in the kitchen, but spending the time it takes to slow cook risotto the traditional way isn’t my cup of tea….6 minutes in the Instant Pot is much more appealing!
I have a 6 quart Instant Pot and use it A LOT….it’s a welcomed kitchen tool for me and affordable at $79….it has MORE than paid for itself in convenience.
I make this recipe using asparagus as well as substituting roasted salmon “bites” for the shrimp….I’ll say it again, use your imagination…if something sounds good to you, DO IT!
Shrimp and Lemon Spinach Risotto
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or a high quality sushi rice I use Kokuho Rose
- 1/2 cup white wine or vermouth I use dry vermouth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese Romano is good also
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- 48 - 60 cooked shrimp depending on shrimp size, I serve 8 - 10 per serving
- Dice the onion, zest and juice the lemon, measure out the rice, measure out the wine, broth, cheese and spinach...set all aside.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, not browned.
- Add the rice and the lemon zest and stir to coat with the oil...rice will start to want to stick to the pot.
- At that point, add the wine and continue stirring until rice begins to get creamy and starts to stick to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, stirring up any rice that has stuck to the bottom.
- Cancel the saute setting and place the lid on and secure, make sure the vent is closed.
- Set on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When time is up, turn off the pot, quick release and remove lid.
- The rice will appear loose, that's OK...add the cheese, lemon juice, then the spinach leaves a handful at a time and stir into the rice. The residual heat will soften them into the rice and the rice will thicken slightly.
- Taste for salt and pepper...it will need both.
- Warm up or cook your shrimp, fold into the rice and serve.