This recipe didn’t start as an original of mine…I found it online, along with numerous other versions after searching “gluten free cream of celery soup.” There were so many to choose from with many vegan options as well.
My final decision led me to this recipe and of course, I did some tweaking.
My version uses 24 oz of frozen mirepoix Cajun style vegetable mix instead of just 2 cups of chopped celery in the original recipe and I am thrilled with the result…I would suggest adding some chopped onions along with the celery if you are following the original.
And speaking of immersion blenders, I did a review here comparing 2 different brands…it’s worth taking a look!
Cream of Celery Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 12 oz bags mirepoix blend, Cajun style, Kroger Recipe Beginnings or use 3 cups of finely chopped celery
- 4 cups milk I used 2%
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thaw the frozen mirepoix Cajun blend vegetables in the microwave for 5 minutes on high per bag, drain well. If using fresh celery, chop fine.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the vegetable mix or the chopped celery.
- Add a little salt and pepper and saute for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Measure out 1 cup of the milk into a bowl and whisk in the cornstarch.
- Add the milk and cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring while the sauce thickens.
- Add the remainder of the milk, stirring and cooking over low heat until thickened.
- Use an immersion blender to blend to desired consistency.
- Taste for seasonings...serve or use this as a base and season according to your recipe.